MENU

test

test

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Numbers for Toddlers (Ages 1 -3)

I am sharing this as I have received multiple emails from fellow Mommies, asking how did I introduce numbers and counting to Mavi. To answer your questions, here are  the Math-related activities I gave to Mavi when he was about 1 to 3 years old. Note that the timeline of the activities here are not in order.

collage2

1]  Familiarization of Numbers using playdough. We made number symbols using PlayDoh.  I first introduced 1-9 and as we progress we did 10 to 19. I shared our Numbers and Letter playdough mats last year.

2] Number matching puzzle.  This is one activity I kept on repeating. 

3] Matching number symbols to objects.  I randomly made this using a cardstock.  As you look closer, I just draw the objects and then used water bottle caps for the numbers. He loves those water bottle caps! 

4] 1 to 1 Correspondence.  Again, I just made the graph.  He counts the number of circles (with the number symbol on the side) by putting a stamp on it.  Here, I showed him that the number represents the amount circles present.

 collage1

5] Numbers and Stickers.  Oh how my son loved this!! I cut out pieces of paper, write a number on the upper left side and place the same number of dots.   Then Mavi and I would count along as we cover those dots with stickers. After which point to your child that the number of dots/sticker is represented by that number symbol.sl

6] Pin Colored/Counting Wheel.  I honestly forgot the source of this material but this is one of our favourite.  I  labeled wooded pegs with numbers and colors so we can match them with ones on the wheel. (If you happen to know the source please leave me a message!)

7] Montessori-Inspired Activity.  The concept behind here is similar to the Spindle Box of Montessori.  I used plastic cups and craft sticks instead.  Label the cups and place the correct amount of sticks on it.

8] Do a Dot Markers.  Now this is not necessary but I just have to mention that we love these markers and we love using it in counting!  I still have these markers which I bought in Singapore in 2011.  I can't wait to use them with Vito.  Be warned though that these are not water-washable.

collage4 copy

9]  Homemade version of Montessori Number Rods.  So I made number rods using foam and used magnetic numbers for the symbol.  This helps a child develop an understanding of the quantitative relationship between numbers.

10]  Ordering numbers.  So simple, we used magnetic numbers and I just wrote the numbers 0 to 9 on a piece of cardstock for the control chart.  At first Mavi would match the magnetic numbers to the numbers in the cardstock.  As we progress, I made him match the numbers in order of what is written. We would recite the numbers after each activity.  Repetition of this activity will help the child understand the concept of ordering and counting.

11] Number Crafts. Oh the first activity on numbers!! Expose them to number symbols similar to your alphabets.  You can do this by doing crafts or reading books together.

12] Number Flashcards.  Oh we found a way to make our flashcards useful.  We count those pictures on the flashcards using counting chips. My son loved this!!! 

These are all easy to prepare activities.  You see I am always on the look out for activities that doesn't need to be expensive, that doesn't need for fancy materials or toys.

Happy Sunday!

No comments :

Post a Comment