MENU

test

test

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Bird Study Part II

Sharing with you the conclusion of our Bird Study Unit which we started a last week. 

You can read about the first part here.

Activities related to our study can be found here and here.

Bird's Beak.  Now this is a new activity which we didn't touch last year.  It was way advance for a 3 yrs old but now that my son can grasp complex information, I decided to introduce this to him.  I got the picture from The Visual Dictionary, it shows some of the different sizes and shapes of a bird's beak.  Based on what we have learned from our Bird Parts Definition booklet (Bird Pack), the beak or bill is used mostly for grooming, protection and how birds catch and eat their food.  Some  are long so they can catch foods in the water, some are short because they mainly eat soft fruits and some can be sharp as they are used to hunt other birds and animals.

So we used our bird figures again to examine the different beaks.  These figures are from Safari Toob and Schleich... I have been collecting them for years as my son loves animals and they're learning materials.

DSC_0931

Bird's Feet.  We also talked about the different shapes of a bird's foot.  They are designed to be different are birds live in different habitats. Like birds living in water have webbed feet for swimming, those living in trees have sharp claws etc.  Again, I printed out the picture seen below from here.

DSC_0933

I also used this information in our discussion. You can get this from Science Buddies.

Zoo_img037

Next, we talked about different types of birds.  The picture cards (nomenclature cards) are included in my Bird Pack which you can get from here.  We talked about the unique features and characteristics of each.

DSC_0166

This is how we differentiate each one (see picture below).  By using a printable bird facts, we were able to learn how each one differs from another. 

DSC_0934

You can download this file for FREE from here.

bird

I love how my son is eager to learn about these birds! 

DSC_0938 

Bird's Nest.  We were supposed to make a nest out of twigs and leaves in the backyard.   But it rained for days and I had a flu bug, so we ended up making some nest indoors LOL.   bird1

bird2

                DSC_0923 DSC_0925

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner

2 comments :

  1. I love this! Thank you so much for sharing all the links to great resources. My daughter enjoyed her bird unit. We will continue bird observations as long as she is interested. I can't wait to utilize a few of these ideas. I just posted about our keyboard spelling mat http://totplay.blogspot.com/2013/05/k-is-for-keyboard-spelling-mat.html if you want to take a peek. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun bird study!

    Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Hope to see you linked up again later today!

    Have a great weekend,
    Beth =)

    ReplyDelete