MENU

test

test

Monday, June 9, 2014

The World of Arthropods (Part One)

arthropod title

So where do I start? LOL

Arthropods, is quite a huge subject, especially for little ones who's exposed to this for the first time.  To them, there's only insects. But now, here I am explaining to my son that everything he sees that's not a mammal, reptile, bird, amphibian or fish is insect.  And just like those vertebrates, insects are just part of a much bigger group that is called Arthropods.

Materials Used:

Animal King Chart (Arthropod)  by Pinay Homeschooler.  I am giving the master chart for free together with the definition cards and sorting activity.  The chart activities together with the rest of the pack will be put into a bundle.  It will be available for purchase for just a small price.

Arthropod Cards.  I am giving away the common insect cards for free.  Again, the entire arthropod cards will be included in the bundle. This will be available in the next post.

Animal Lifecycle Cards.  We used this to identify insects that undergo incomplete metamorphosis (grasshopper) and complete metamorphosis (butterfly).

Nomenclature Cards and Definition Booklet of Butterfly,Ant,Insect, Grasshopper,Caterpillarand Dragonfly.

Animal Figures. All are from Safari Toob.

Books used (affiliates), please refer at the end of this post.

Activity 1:  Presentation of the Arthropod Chart

DSC_0637

To introduce the Arthropods, I presented the Animal Kingdom Chart -> Arthropods to Mavi.  He's already familiar with this as we have had Animal Kingdom lessons previously.  Now I just have to explain, that similar to the Chordates, Arthropod is a group composed of different species like crabs, centipedes, millipedes, spiders and insects.

He loves the chart!  It helped that we did Animal Kingdom before :)  As you can see in the picture, we worked on sorting the animal figures according to the description cards which is included in my printable.  You need not to worry if you don't own any of these, I included picture cards in the free file so you can still conduct this activity.

DSC_0408

I let him read the description cards and he investigated whether the descriptions are indeed true! Like the number of legs, whether they have antennae or if they have indeed body/thorax/abdomen composition.

           DSC_0665 DSC_0668

 DSC_0671

As you can see, our little Vito is quite interested with what we do as well!

DSC_0679

We first looked into the group of Insects

Activity 2Life cycles.  There are two lifecycles we discussed here.  First the one  with incomplete metamorphosis like grasshoppers (egg->nymph->adult) and the complete metamorphosis like ladybugs (egg->larvae->pupa->adult).  You can get a copy of my ANIMAL LIFECYCLES HERE.

DSC_0696

Activity 3: Body parts.  Here we look into the body parts of the insects and how each of these parts differ. Like how does the wings of butterfly differ from that of the grasshopper and dragonfly.  The difference between the shape of the abdomens of each insect etc.

           DSC_0737 DSC_0749

           DSC_0781DSC_0760

Activity 4:  Books. We read read read books! And my son loves matching our animal figures to those on the books!

           DSC_0790 DSC_0793

And that ends the first part of our study.  More coming up in the next post! 

PS. I do not read-proof my post.  Please understand that I breastfeed and babysit while I write and sometimes, my brain is faster than my fingers.  So if you encounter typo/grammar error, my bad and my apologies.  I just have no time to read-proof, thus the reason why I place as much pictures as I can to demonstrate our activities without too much explanation.  Thank you for your understanding!


For other activities: Follow Pinay Homeschooler's board Zoology Unit on Pinterest.

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!

2 comments :

  1. What an amazing start to your unit! :) I love the Animal Kingdom's Charts :) very, very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had an insect unit a couple of weeks ago, and one of the kids' favorite activities involved the life cycle cards. I think they just liked saying "pupae" ;)

    ReplyDelete