MENU

test

test

Monday, June 23, 2014

Learning Word Families and Rhymes

As I've mentioned in my Facebook status, we've been working hard for the past days with our word families using my homemade material.  You can get the free file here or download the complete pack from here.

I presented the picture cards together with the word cards for each word family.

DSC_0230

Word families are group of words that have the same pattern or letter combination.  In a separate sheet of paper, I showed him that the "ug" in the word BUG remains the same for the words rug, hug and jug.  

DSC_0218

I also highlighted the letters that changed in the set. 

DSC_0223

Now with the word WED, we have bed, shred and fled.  I made him underline the word family (the one that remains the same) and identify the beginning letter/letters that changes. He did this with the rest of the words that we studied on that day. 

 DSC_0222 

He loves identifying the word family!  Typically, we worked on around 8 to 10 words per day.  So this touches rhyming and spelling as well.

DSC_0227 

Now with rhymes, I showed him that at times, word sounds can be deceiving.  They may sound the same but they don't belong to a different word family.  As presented below, separated the rhymes using pens.

   DSC_0237 

Mavi also worked on the the moveable alphabet.  He tried to form other words by trying out other consonants in the beginning letter.

 DSC_0244

We've already wrapped up our lesson on this.  We're doing compound words next!

Happy Monday to you all!

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!

2 comments :

  1. Word families is so important. I love how fun you've made practicing these! Thanks for sharing at the After School Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete