MENU

test

test

Monday, March 3, 2014

The Golden Beads Layout

DSC_0098 

Just wanted to share our recent work with the golden beads material.  I've been contemplating on purchasing these for a long time and I was convinced by fellow Mommy Montessori bloggers that these materials are worth a try.  Actually, I was convinced because now I have two kids to home school. So definitely these are worth-it!

I am using KHT Montessori Math Album in our schooling.

In a nutshell, I introduced the beads (unit, tens, hundreds and thousands) with their corresponding number symbol.  My son loved this.  He was able to tell the difference between the quantities of each number symbol.  He's like "The thousand is soooo heavy!"

   DSC_0122

We also learned how to compose and read bigger numbers! I made a printable of this but my son showed no interest. However when he saw this large number cards, he can't stop using it!  He loves creating his own number.... but somehow still confused on how to read it :) 

DSC_0113

 DSC_0120

Well there are a lot of ways to practice composing bigger numbers and one of which is simply writing it down on a paper and have your child recreate the it using the number cards. 

 DSC_0121 

Because the beads arrived in the time that my son has a better understanding of quantities (we previously practice making ones and tens), he was able to create this massive layout on his own.  I swear, I just left him and he did all the work in one sitting!

Completing the units...

 DSC_0126

Working on the tens...

 DSC_0137

Then the hundreds...

 DSC_0140

And thousands. Unfortunately, I only have 9 wooden thousand beads so he finished it till 4000 :)

  DSC_0167

DSC_0172

It was impressive indeed! How I wish I purchased this early on.  But anyway, there are still a lot of work to be done with the golden beads. We'll be exploring those in the days to come.

This is so exciting!

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!
Natural Homeschool's Montessori Linky

5 comments :

  1. I LOVE the golden beads! Eventually I would love to be able to purchase all of them, but at the very least, the thousand cubes and hundred squares are a must! :) What fun it would have been to have these when I was a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Montessori teaches math skills. My oldest attended a Montessori preschool and kindergarten and I think it started him off with a wonderful base. I'm using a basic set of numbers and beads like this to teach my younger two. It's amazing how quickly they "get it" with these materials. Thanks for sharing at the After School Link Up.
    Kelly at Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THESE! Where can a mom purchase a set?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm so thrilled to have found your blog! I'm a Montessori pre-school teacher and soon-to-be mom and I plan to homeschool as well. So I'm thrilled to have found you. :)


    Mars M.
    www.montessoriinmars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete