MENU

test

test

Friday, March 8, 2013

Color Your Homeschool with Pasta!

So there’s so much you cian do with pasta :)  It was once a favorite learning tool in our home. Since I’m quite frugal, I barely give him toys from stores unless necessary, instead I made use of what we in kitchen (LOL) to save money and to be practical as well.

With that said, I made these colorful (rainbow) pasta when Mavi was just a teeny weeny.  We used it in so many ways! And here’s how I done it:

Gather various shapes of pasta like bowtie, penne, Rotelle, macaroni, shells etc.  Then measure the right amount of pasta you wanted to use and put them in a zipper bag (Ziploc).  Add around 1 tablespoon of alcohol and 5-10 drops of food coloring into the bag.  Close the bag, and mix (shake the bag) until everything is covered with color.  Leave the pasta inside the bag for 5-10 minutes.  To dry them up, cover a tray with cookie sheet or kitchen towel.  Carefully pour the colored pasta and spread them in single layer.  And that’s just about it!

 DSC_0563[2]

So here’s how we use them:

1.  For color sorting activity.  I have this egg carton box which I painted with watercolor :)  He matches the pasta to that of the color in the egg box.

          DSC_0028[4] DSC_0044[4]

2.  Stringing and Beading.  Good for penne pasta :)

         DSC_0582[4] DSC_0583[3]

3. Playdough Tower

        DSC_0121[3] DSC_0128[3]

4.  Counters.  Again using an egg carton box as our tray.  I wrote numbers at the bottom of the box and he’ll put the right amount of pasta based on the number written. 

       DSC_0602[2] DSC_0623[1]

Those rainbow pasta are really beautiful!  How I miss them :)

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Preschool Corner

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for sharing the super cute ideas! My favorite is the straw tower of colored noodles. It incorporates so many things!

    I'm new to your blog, it was recommended by a friend. I just started using the Montessori Method at the beginning of February with my three special needs kiddos ages 6,4, & 3, after trying several different methods to get them to learn. Two have autism and one (adopted) has Reactive Attachment and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. We don't have a lot of the official materials yet, so I've been doing a lot of homemade variations but the kids are absolutely loving it! You can check out our blog at http://everystarisdifferent.blogspot.com! Thanks so much for sharing all of your great ideas! They are a HUGE help to someone new like me!

    ReplyDelete