MENU

test

test

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Biomes of Australia

I made these "biomes mat" based on the My Adventure Book (Australia/Oceania) for hands-on learning.  It's made up of felt paper glued on a cardstock for durability.  Then I printed pictures for each biomes so my son will have an idea how they actually look like.  I also added handwritten labels.

IMG_20130916_181301[1]

The objects of the activity are:

  • to identify the biomes of Australia
  • to distinguish the difference of each biome (I used the description chart included in the book I mentioned above)
  • to sort out the the animals of Australia based on its habitat-biome it thrives (Animals of Australia / Oceania)

These are the animals cards we used (Animals of Australia / Oceania).

DSC_1367

And for the animals, I used the Safari Toob Down Under.

DSC_1366

And here's my son working on the activity.  I looooovee how effective this technique is, because if I would just use worksheets first and just talk about biomes without a hands-on activity, for sure I won't get his attention.  But this one, he loves sorting the animals and the felt mats really helped!

               DSC_1384 DSC_1386

For more printables and downloads, you can visit The Pinay Homeschooler Shop and Downloads.

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama

1 comment :

  1. What an awesome idea! My daughter LOVES geography but mostly when she has some hands-on-activities, too! I am going to try this with our next continent.

    ReplyDelete