MENU

test

test

Friday, August 1, 2014

Narration: Where the Wild Things Are

We are currently doing Charlotte Mason narration style at home.  We used to do Before Five In A Row, which my son had a great time of doing all those activities related in the book.  The only problem is, they have a book list and most books in the list are out of printing.  With the narration style, we can use any book available and attack it the Charlotte Mason way :) 

So without further ado, my first specimen is my son’s favourite book Where the Wild Things Are [aff. link].  We read it, pin point the words he couldn’t understand (for vocabulary lesson) and I take down notes as well for words worthy of spelling practice.

First activity is the Story Sequence using pictures.  I scanned it from the book and have Mavi arranged it.  Afterwhich I asked him to tell me the story (in his own word) using the pictures.  I couldn’t believe he remembers 70% of  lines from the book!!

DSC_0563

DSC_0565 

Spelling and Vocabulary.  Then we moved on to the spelling and vocabulary.  By this time I ran out of ink so I just have to rely on my papers and sharpies LOL.  For vocabulary, I have him read the definitions (practice reading) and then the meaning.  He figured it out that he has to match them.  The same with the spelling, decoding the scrambled letters to form the right words.

             DSC_0576 DSC_0583 

Story Sequencing using Words.  We’re doing the sequencing using words only.  This is to practice his reading analysis and skills.

DSC_0599

Creating and Acting.  After the oral narration, we printed graphics from Making Learning Fun and colored them so we could make them as puppets.  This approach is similar to our Hickory Dickory Duck Unit. 

DSC_0002

And here they are!  To assess , I made him retell the story (this was on a separate day) using the puppets and vocabulary words. 

DSC_0015

I was so happy that we did this!! I have never seen Mavi become interested in “home” schooling again (he’s on vacation mode LOL).  He even told me “Mommy, can we do this again?”. 

So yes! We are doing this every week.  Now I am excited for our next book narration.

PS.  If you want to have a copy of the narration, please leave your email address in the comment.

6 comments :

  1. Such an exciting way to present a book and share the experience. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this book is one of my son's favorite .. I would love to try this narration work with him . my email address is bellaaziz22@hotmail.com xxx viv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    Is there any way I can the illustrations for a story sequence lesson?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    Is there any way I can the illustrations for a story sequence lesson?

    Thank you

    juliana_lacerdalopes@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete