MENU

test

test

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Learning About Southeast Asia

DSC_0546

Here’s a summary of activities for learning Southeast Asia.

Map and Flags 

Familiarization of the Southeast Asia Map and identification of the countries.

Materials: 

me-12

me-15

Lego Play

Son is obsessed with Lego, so I just have to use to my advantage heehee.  Here we are making flags of some countries in Southeast Asia.  Typically we paint or draw them, but they’re even more beautiful when you make them with Legos!

DSC_0522

DSC_0550

Ah and my favourite of all :)

DSC_0544

It’s always a struggle to get things done when you Vito around LOL

DSC_0525

People, Culture, Lifestyle

We used my homemade materials for this and some books that we owned to explore facts on Southeast Asia.

Materials:

Here we read a book about the great rivers in Asia.

DSC_0645  

Very helpful fact cards.  Mavi learned a lot from this one, especially about the tsunamis in Indonesia, rice paddies and fruits unique to Southeast Asia.

                asianfood-2  me-14

Philippine flag, a model of Philippine jeepney, a model of bangka (fishing boat in the Philippines) and Philippine Peso play money.  These were sent to us by my sister-in-law. And the books which I purchased from the Philippines a long long time ago. 

               DSC_1529  DSC_1376

Crafts and other Materials

We made a model of Bahay Kubo!  Read about it here. Surprisingly, I’ve been receiving request as well to post the details of how we made it.  I’ll try my best to post it as soon as possible.  

   me-17

My sister in law gave us a wonderful collection of Philippine-related materials!

           DSC_1367 DSC_1375 

Thank you so much for taking time to view this post. Our next stop is East Asia!

More Asia Unit here: Follow Pinay Homeschooler's board Continent Study: Asia on Pinterest.

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!

6 comments :

  1. I love using materials around the house for learning. Legos can be such fun!!!

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love incorporating legos as it is my son's favourite toy :)

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of using Legos to make flags. What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have used lego to make flags and some of the famous buildings like the Eiffel Tower. It is a great way for kids to have fun while learning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey. Yes! We also made Eiffel Tower a few years ago and my son super duper enjoyed it. Legos are the best!

      Delete