MENU

test

test

Monday, October 29, 2012

Learning about Mushrooms

We’ve been seeing mushrooms around our estate so we just have to study it while they’re still everywhere.

P1080960Got these books from the library, I also borrowed books about seasons so we can talk about Autumn as well. 

We read the book of Fungus, and look at the different sizes and figures of mushrooms.

DSC_0739DSC_0740

We worked on the parts of the mushroom.  

DSC_0826

DSC_0813I made him draw some mushrooms and surprisingly, he manage to draw them according to what he learned from the parts of the mushroom. Like he always put a volva, ring and scales (see picture on the left).  And I asked him to draw a diagram.  He enjoyed doing the diagram and I would definitely integrate this in our future subjects.

                  DSC_0830DSC_0890

Then we looked into the real thing. I would love to pick mushrooms from the yard but my DH asked me to just use the ones from the supermarket :)

DSC_0855

  DSC_0870

He started removing the stalk, examining the inside of the mushroom.

DSC_0874  

                    DSC_0872DSC_0882

He was really really that we did this.  Now he has an understanding of what mushrooms are, how they feel and how some are dangerous and some are perfect for pizza and pasta!

 

Linking to:

Montessori Monday

2 comments :

  1. What a great unit study on mushrooms! I love how you used the real mushroom, books, drawings, and nomenclature cards! I pinned it on my Montessori elementary board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to literally explore your own backyard!

    ReplyDelete