MENU

test

test

Friday, January 6, 2012

Color Mixing

Our first activity for 2012!

I’ve been wanting to introduce this to Mavi for a loooonnnggg time but I’m always hesitant.  You know why?  He doesn’t have his own table and chair yet! So that’s what we gave him last Christmas.  Mind you, this is his 3RD table set. As you know, we’ve been moving countries from the past 2 years, so the first one was left in Belgrade and the second was given to my nephew in Singapore.  Thus, this is the third and hopefully the last!

Going back... I placed his table set in the kitchen since we will be dealing with water.  I bought food coloring (naturals are washable) from the grocery store and poured a few drops of primary colors on the ice tray.  I told him we’ll be mixing colors and see what colors we can come up with.  Oh boy, he was so so excited!

First I mixed blue and yellow... and he shouted “It’s green!”.  Then I asked him what happens if we mix yellow and orange(I did this while I mix the colors), and we came with orange and he shouted “It’s orange Mama!”.  We did the same with purple as well.

Then he asked if he can do color mixing on his own. He was experimenting a lot of colors!  He even came up with a grey color.

DSC_0090 (2)

By the way, I used a medicine dropper.  So aside from teaching him all about color mixing, I was also demonstrating how to use a medicine dropper... that we can use it to transfer water from one container to another.  He struggled at first... but I kept on saying “squeeze and release” whenever he would dip it on the water.  I made him practice a few times as he was frustrated that he can’t get any water into the dropper.  Well, he was persistent so he finally figured out how it works.

 DSC_0091 (2) 

I also made him do this... putting water drops on marks using medicine dropper.  Well, it’s his first time so he still can’t control the water coming out of the dropper.  But he loved doing this.  One time when we did this activity again, he made a car using the medicine dropper.

 DSC_0103

Just a note, I discovered that some food coloring can stain your hands.  I bought a  Natural food coloring for red and yellow, thus the one that stained on my son’s hands is blue color. DSC_0114

Happy mixing!

Montessori Monday

2 comments :

  1. What a great learning experience! I'm planning to do some color mixing with squirt bottles and our next big snow. ;)

    Brittney
    www.moms-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like fun. We have to get us a dropper. My 4 year old would love this.

    ReplyDelete