MENU

test

test

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Golden Beads Addition

On days that we're not doing any "themed" activities, we work on our bead materials and lately the golden beads has been a favorite in the house.  Technically, this activity is good for 2 or more participants but since we have no other kid at home that can participate I volunteered for that position :)

So this is a simple addition "game" as I always tell my son.  Using our small number cards, I would create a random 4 digit number for both of us and we're going to fetch the equivalent of that number using the golden beads. 

            DSC_0573 DSC_0574

Then someone has to add or combine them all together to determine the total.  But since we don't have a third person to do that, my son and I did this together.  We combined our beads and counted them.  I made him identify the number of thousand cubes, hundreds, tens and ones. 

 DSC_0578

Using the small number and large number cards, I made him add the numbers to check whether our counting with the golden beads is correct.  Here I showed him that we can add quantities by combining or manually counting, but it always easier to do the addition using the technique below.

DSC_0580

  Here's the layout of our work.DSC_0585And we did a few more.  I also made him use the activity sheet (Stamp Game sheet) from Montessori Printshop so he can practice writing 4 digit numbers.

           DSC_0499  DSC_0504

           DSC_0482 DSC_0491

Though it's a good activity for addition, it is quite overwhelming for one child to do.  After a few work on numbers he complained that its tiring.

Next, we'll attempt to have a Stamp Game.  We'll see how he'll react to it :)

1 comment :

  1. Will be following your math activities closely, since my daughter's at the same pace as Mavi! We use the Cuisennaire Rods which is nearly identical to the golden beads (except you can't make the squares work with them, I think). I have the same question as Vintage Gramma above. Share when you get there?:)

    ReplyDelete