MENU

test

test

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Bird Unit Activities

Son's request was for us to have another bird unit (click here for our previous lessons).  So here are the activities and materials I have gathered for this week's unit study.

Bird Nomenclature and Definition Cards.  Whenever we study animals, I always start by introducing the different parts of the animals and how they function.  I just have to say we've been using 3 part cards method and it has accelerated my son's reading.

DSC_0259

Following the nomenclature and definition, my son always works with the activity sheet identifying the parts.  Here he can make his own booklet of bird parts using colored pencils and crayons. 

DSC_0243 

Bird parts booklet.  This method enables my son to practice his spelling and a much deeper understanding of the bird parts.

DSC_0266

Bird species matching.  I provided bird pictures in the my Bird Pack which we use to identify the different species of birds. We use our Safari Toob bird collection (and Schleich too). DSC_0254

 

Bird's feet classification.  I made a table of the different types of bird's feet and list down the bird (figures) that we have.  This activity aims to identify the the bird's habitat and lifestyle.

 DSC_0249

Similarly, I printed out a picture of the different shape of the bird's beak from here.  With this activity Mavi will be able to tell what the birds eat.  This activity was inspired by this one.

             DSC_0241 DSC_0250 

Bird's colors.  Because Mavi loves to color, I collected these images from the web.  The aim of this activity is for Mavi to color the birds based on our figures.

             DSC_0263 DSC_0247

The nomenclature cards, definition and bird cards were also from the Bird Pack.  Click the image below for the link.

bird collage

For more FREEbies and learning aids, please check The Pinay Homeschooler Shop and Downloads.

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!

2 comments :

  1. I am in love with this unit! I love every part of it! Such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love your activities as well. You have gazillion of wonderful ideas for preschoolers!

      Delete