MENU

test

test

Friday, March 23, 2012

Hey Diddle Diddle Stick Puppets

Sharing with you our activities to go along with Hey Diddle Diddle nursery rhyme.  Actually, this is just part of our Before FIAR Goodnight Moon unit study.  We completed this today and my son loved it to bits!  So I might as well share it...

After reading the book for days (until my son can read them independently LOL), I started by collecting images from Google and printed it on a cardstock.  The characters I printed were:  the fiddler cat, dog, moon, jumping cow and the dish with the spoon.  Once ready I had Mavi color them.  I made him choose whatever color he wants.  He was so delighted to color the characters in the nursery!

DSC_0218

DSC_0222

The dish with the spoon is his favorite.  He tells me that the dish looks like Daddy and the spoon is Mommy. I love it that he associates me and his Dad to two objects holding hands :)

DSC_0223

I cut each of the characters. 

DSC_0225

Then I made him help me attach each on a popsicle stick using a sticky tape. 

DSC_0226

And we started reciting the rhyme using these puppets! Oh aren’t they the cutest?

 DSC_0228

And then here’s another version wherein I made them stand using egg carton box so we can do some theatrics with out puppets. 

DSC_0231

For reading comprehension and inference, I have my son answer these questions as we go along with the rhyme:

  1. Who jumped over the moon?
  2. Why do you think the cow jumped over the moon?
  3. What instrument did the cat play
  4. What kind of music do you think he was playing?  or What do you think his favorite song was?
  5. Who laughed in the rhyme?
  6. Why do you think the dog was laughing?
  7. Who did the spoon run away with?
  8. Why do you think they ran away together?

Some of these questions were really tough especially for a 3 year old, but it was funny to hear his answers.  And would you believe, I end up being asked as well. 

Linking this to:

Montessori Monday

4 comments :

  1. Super cute - what a fun activity to go along with your rhyme! Thanks for linking up to TGIF!! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would add velcro to these printables and make a felt board sory with them

    You know what I do with my daycare kids..... I mix up the caracters and say the poem all wrong and get them to put it back together in the right order
    Hey Diddle Diddle the DOG and the DISH
    The CAT jumped over the SPOON
    The little FIDDLE laughed to see such spport
    And the COW ran away with the MOON

    Oh no! That doesn't sound right.... Can you help me put it back the right way?

    ReplyDelete