MENU

test

test

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Continent: Antarctica Unit (Math Activities)

Mavi is 41 months old.

This is a continuation of our Antarctica Unit which we started last week.  Here are the math activities to go along with our unity study.

PENGUIN ADDITION

We used Safari Toob Penguins for our addition. The cards that you see were homemade.  It will make the addition game a little more interesting if he has these picture cards(control cards).

DSC_0576

Another version of our penguin addition is using the concept of Montessori’s Addition Strip.  I previously used the technique using bear counters and it worked for him.

DSC_0608

Later, he started to do it on his own using the control cards.

DSC_0612

SKIP COUNTING BY 2’S AND 3’S

We haven’t done this for a long time.  So I decided to revisit it.  I used white and blue beads, pretending that they’re penguin eggs (and candies according to my son).

DSC_0583

Here I told my son that the penguins are hungry and needed two candies each.  Once he placed the beads, we started counting by 2’s.  I explained that counting by 2’s means that we start counting from 2 and skip some numbers along the way (thus the 1,3,5,7,9).

DSC_0614

Then he wanted to have another set-up.  He said that the penguins want to eat rice!  He gave each penguin 2 rice (LOL) and he started counting by 2’s again. I was surprise that he can do it on his own. I am in awe of how can a little one learn by doing repetitive activities. 

DSC_0622

We did the same thing when we counted by 3’s.

DSC_0631

And revisited a few activities using these penguin printables from Making Learning Fun.  See how we used these printables here and here.

DSC_0588

Linking this to:

7 comments :

  1. Your kiddo is lucky you do so much with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog through pinterest and I LOVE it. Full of interesting and useful ideas. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE all the manipulatives you used with your Penguins!! Your kiddos are going to have a SOLID foundation in math!!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying my best to always think of using manipulatives as these helps him learn more :)

      Delete
  4. Wow!!! You are so creative! I love how you fine tuned this whole unit! I'd love it if you would share this with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. Would you please link up? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder when to formally introduce the continent boxes. Also, how long do you spend on a continent? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marnie! It really depends on your kid. We usually travel a lot, crossing continents almost every year and my son really got curious of where we usually go and why his relatives are so far away from us. So I started showing him the world map... and from then I decided to give him lessons on continents.

      With regards to the duration of the lesson, usually it takes a week or two. I narrowed the topics to important things like map, flags, landmarks and animals because these are the things that interests him. Of course, we will do continent every year and I will tackle more stuff as we progress.

      Delete