MENU

test

test

Monday, February 11, 2013

Layers of the Earth (Free Printable)

This topic is somewhat advance for my 4 year old.  But you see last week, he watched an episode of  The Backyardigans about the “Old Gushie” a volcano about to erupt.  The Backyardigan friends travel down into the Earth to stop a boulder from plugging Old Gushie before it can break the Earth into half.

That’s how we ended up learning about the Earth’s layer as he was so curious of where the hot liquid lava from the volcano came from.  Materials I used were the Layers of the Earth Nomenclature Cards which I downloaded from The Helpful Garden, Layers of the Earth fact book which I made and can be downloaded for FREE (see link below) and an illustration of the Earth’s layers (colored papers). 

DSC_0288

Here’s how my fact book looks like.  Sorry for the blurry image, it’s been so  dark lately and I find it difficult to have a decent macro shot.

DSC_0292

Here he is working on the 3-part cards and fact book.  DSC_0293

 DSC_0295

If you’d like to have a copy of the fact book, you can click the picture below to download it for free.

Untitled

We also made  Sun and Earth miniature using a Styrofoam balls. We ended up hanging them in his room when we’re the paints dried up.

DSC_0279

I was too tired to prepare a playdough for this lesson so I just relied on the craft papers for the demonstration.  But I promise to do it next time as I know he would love to create the layers using playdoughs. 

As seen on the picture he’s labeling each layers. I always include a writing exercise in every activity we have to improve his handwriting.

DSC_0305

And later on decided to write in “Chinese” characters as what he described it LOL. 

DSC_0316

Linking to:

Montessori Monday

2 comments :

  1. What a fun study!

    Thanks for sharing and linking up to TGIF =-)

    Have a great week!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your unit studies are always fabulous, Jae! And I love the way you followed your son's interests. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful printable! I featured your printable as a Free Printable of the Day at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/free-printable-of-the-day/

    ReplyDelete