MENU

test

test

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Homeschool Wrap-Up (11.21 – 11.25)

It’s been days of terrible weather.  My boy and I are hungry for some outdoor fun.  But I doubt it, with winter coming, it would be impossible to play ball at the backyard or go on a scavenger hunt :)  Thus, I really have to plan out homeschool activities for he’ll be staying indoors most of the time, till next year I guess.  Except, if the snow arrives and we have enough of it to play around.  It would be fun to make snowman and ice castles!

Here’s what we did last week... and earlier this week.

MATH

Mavi started to learn counting by 10s and 2s.  First we did counting by 10s.  It went good.  I made him fill each cup with ten beads and after he completed the cups, I told him that we needed to count by tens as there’s just too much to count.  I placed the number 10 card on the first cup, and when we get to the 2nd cup, I told him, "now there’s 2 tens.  2 tens make 20” and with that I instructed him to place the number 20 card on the 2nd cup.  Same goes through to the 3rd cup, I asked him how many tens do we have now.. and he said “3” and I said “3 tens is 30”.  We did it with the rest until we reached 80. 

DSC_0176

It’s easy to demonstrate it if you group counters together rather than made them memorize the number symbol... which was the way I was taught LOL.  Same with skip counting by 2’s.  The challenge here though is that at the beginning he insisted that we counted from 1..2..3. He kept asking for the missing numbers LOL. 

DSC_0180

Patterning is my son’s least favorite activity.  He’s showing no interest at it at all. Whenever we do this, he would timidly complete the activity so unlike with the rest.  Hopefully he’ll appreciate it in the future.  Patterns were downloaded from here.

DSC_0351

Beginning letter sounds using clip cards and we used the Pond Printable Pack from Homeschool Creations. He loves this kind of activity... anything that has to do with letters :)

DSC_0356

 

PRACTICAL LIFE

First time I introduced weaving activity and something that he enjoyed.  I first showed him how to do it, emphasizing on the over and under motion of my hands.

DSC_0330

When he worked on it, I still had to instruct him weather the strips go either over or under.  But somehow he managed to finish it.  I plan to re-introduce this again next month :)

DSC_0332

Helping Mommy in putting up our Christmas Tree.  Actually, it was more like playing around with the Christmas balls and the glittered stars and snowflakes :)

DSC_0191 

This orange scissor is currently his obsession.  So using scraps, I made some shapes and told him to cut it out.  He manages to cut the triangle, rectangle and square properly... but still couldn’t cut shapes with curves.

DSC_0389

While playing with watercolors, I managed to teach him all about lines... straight lines, diagonal and curves.  But somehow he’s not just into it.

DSC_0390

SCIENCE

Read about our frog activities here.

Week 312

1 comment :

  1. Hi Veronica! I just asked him if he wants to play a game on counting. When he said yes, that's the time I gave him this activity. Before this, he's already familiar with the tens number. I waited for the time that he's ready and familiar with the tens number. Counting by 10s is easier(for me) since there's just too much to count. Counting by 2s was a struggle. Anyway we are still going to revisit this activity and try other technique and will share how it goes.

    ReplyDelete