MENU

test

test

Monday, November 28, 2011

Frog Unit for Preschoolers

Since last week, we’ve working on our Frog theme.  This is the second time we did a frog unit study.

My aim here is for my son to learn basic information about frogs, widen his vocabulary, understand that like us, frogs undergo a circle of life, that they use their body parts to survive and play around.  But of course, aside from the serious stuff, my main purpose here is for my son to enjoy the activities I prepared for him and create wonderful memories together.

LIFE CYCLE OF FROG and FROG BODY PARTS

The life cycle cards were homemade and the body parts were downloaded from Montessori Print Shop for free! 

Week 312

I was so happy that my son, can pay attention to such subjects.  He was eagerly listening to me while I read the life cycle of frogs and how they survive.  He kept asking questions (which I love!) and for the most part, act out the pictures of the tadpoles or frogs from the book lol. 

When his Dad got home, he demonstrated how the frog would close their eyes to swallow... and at the same time, how they catch dragonflies.  He stuck his tongue out, lick his Dad’s jacket and told him he’s eating the Daddy dragonfly :)

Frog Math

Skip counting using my frog counter cards.  I placed the cards in a straight line, and told him that I only have numbers 2,4,6,8 and 10 and we should be able to put this on the frogs by counting 2’s.  Although he got the idea of skip counting, he’s still insisted that we just should start counting by 1 or 0 lol.

DSC_0320

Then we arranged it so we can count them up to 20 (he was the one who requested this).

DSC_0295

I also made this frog leaping game.  It was an on the spot preparation. I told my boy that the frog is very very hungry and he has to eat the dragonfly at the end of the lily pad.  To do this, we have to roll the dice to know how many jumps the frog has to make in order to reach the dragonfly.  To make it more challenging I added a few stops in between so the frog can either skip pads or return to the starting line again.

DSC_0393

PUZZLE/CRAFT

DSC_0371

A friend of ours gave my son some nice coloring book and I discovered that there was a frog on it.  I made him color it using do-a-dot markers, while using his red-eye frog toy as a guide.  Then when it dried, I cut it into pieces so he can play with it like a puzzle and stick it together as a craft project.

DSC_0367

But he requested that I should take a photo of him before he started working :)

               DSC_0373DSC_0378 

And lastly, we worked on some matching game.  I got this from Montessori Print Shop again for free.  He is always excited whenever I tell him that we will be playing a matching game.  It is his favorite activity... so I might get all those matching games from the Print Shop if I don’t have time to make my own :)

DSC_0347

Wonderful memories were created once again.

Linked to :

Montessori Monday linkandlearn-150x150

2 comments :

  1. Veronica, for sure they'll love it! I have to agree though, it's a summer activity. My son was really curious of the tadpoles, too bad we don't have them here. By the way, I'm your first follower! Nice!

    Brittney thank you so much for the award! Such an honor. I'm your new follower as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have great activities! And I LOVE your statement " ... my main purpose here is for my son to enjoy the activities I prepared for him and create wonderful memories together." Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday! :) Deb

    ReplyDelete