MENU

test

test

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Language Lessons

Update on how we go about our spelling and reading activities at home.

We are wrapping up Consonant Blends this month.  I added another activity sheets for our Consonant Blends and this is the Trace and Spell version.  If you have been following my blog, I have a version of this for CVC words as well.  Read about here and here.

DSC_1442

The file Consonant Blends Trace and Spell also contains list of words with picture highlighting the blends used.  Here we use Melissa and Doug magnetic letters to identify the beginning blends and the ending blends and how they are pronounced.

DSC_1448

See how my son works it out.  By mastering the "sound" of the blends, he was able to spell the words perfectly.  He's just confused with 'sc' and 'sk' though, and the use of the double letters like 'll' and 'ss'. 

                       DSC_1488 DSC_1496

 DSC_1499

You can purchase the file for only 1.50USD by clicking the picture below.  Instructions on how to prepare is also included.

 CVCC Trace and Spell

Now when it comes to reading, I have no problem with it for he's such a good reader.  He can read complicated words and my explanation to this is that he was exposed to reading early on.  I read books to him before he turns 1 yr old and by so much exposure I guess, he can now easily decode the words. 

Since he is now 5, I wanted to train him how to understand what he reads.  It's not good enough that you know how to read, but be able to understand what you are reading, grasp the concept and plant those information in your head.  I came across this English worksheet in a bookstore and thought that it would be a good material for reading analysis.  I can't say it is the best, but it's good enough to have something like this to practice on.  This worksheet is for 1st grader actually but he likes it and never gets bored as it challenges him. 

  DSC_1422

It has activities on it as well.  He loves working with words :)

DSC_1412

DSC_1427

For more FREEbies and learning aids, please check The Pinay Homeschooler Shop and Downloads.

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
I Can Teach My Child

No comments :

Post a Comment