MENU

test

test

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Artist Study: Henri Matisse

Last week we tried looking into the works of Henri Matisse.

I told him that Matisse is an artist from France.  He loves to paint and later on got sick and was confined in bed. And because he loves art so much, he started using his scissors to cut paper to make pictures and paper collages.  He called this technique "painting with scissors". 

More of Matisse's biography here.

Making Organic Shapes

Because Matisse uses a lot of organic shapes, first we practice how to create organic shapes.

          DSC_1430 DSC_1433

 DSC_1435

I realized that it was hard for him to make organic shapes than creating the geometric ones. Though he can identify organic shapes by visualizing leaves, clouds and water splatter he still could not create something 'close' to organic. We'll be practicing more on this :)

Matisse uses bright contrasting colors

Now it's time to put our little skills and knowledge to test.  I took a few art paper for him to cut into rectangle and squares. Then we draw organic shapes on the paper, cut them and place them on the squares (using the contrasting color scheme).

          DSC_1462 DSC_1465 

Now this is the activity my son enjoyed.  He loves cutting and gluing!

          DSC_1481 DSC_1484

Well what do you think? 

Son loves Artist Study and I will compile the famous works of some artist so I can pile them in album.  So whenever we would do an Artist Study, we'll just skim through the album and select which one we would like to replicate :) 

As of the moment, we're doing A LOT of Halloween crafts so we can use them as decor inside the house.  I have a  FREE Nomenclature and Counting cards for you to use this season.  Hope you like it!

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child

3 comments :

  1. You have such great art ideas! Some day I may just have to take time and read through all of your art posts and just incorporate them into our schedule. Thank you for taking the time to post all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tagged them all so it would be easier for them to search. I love our art studies because I am learning as well :)

      Delete
  2. What a fun Matisse study! Our artists studies are a favorite with my kids =)

    Thanks for linking up to TGIF! I hope to see you linked up again later today.

    Have a great weekend,
    Beth =)

    ReplyDelete