MENU

test

test

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Revisiting The Seven Continents

I love the fact that my son’s school is sending newsletter each month to parents regarding the things that the children will be exploring and the activities that comes with it.  For this month, they’re learning about the solar system and the continents, must be the reason why my son was so eager to do some geo-related works a few days ago.  Though we’ve done this a few times its always nice to revisit and review what he has learned so far.  

As usual, he always forgets to name “North America”. He knows the location but finds it difficult to name it.

          DSC_1485DSC_1488

It helps a lot of your kids learn how to read early on. Here he pins the labels of each continent to the map.  I used to read the labels to him before, but now he’s doing it by himself.

          DSC_1500DSC_1503 

Then he wanted to place the animals to their “homes” based on the map.  So I reused a paper bag, sketched the continents and he started sorting his animal figures according to the continents in which they inhabit.  So timely since we will be exploring Africa soon.

          DSC_1509DSC_1510 

In addition we started identifying the oceans for familiarization.  This is what we end up later on.  I wanted to make something like this but I realized that it would eat up all my time and energy so I might probably look for a more easy way to make a world map inspired by Montessori.  But Leptir’s work is such an inspiration!

DSC_1518

More Geography units to come!

Linking to:

Montessori Monday

1 comment :

  1. Love the animals sorting idea! We did the same but sorting animals by their habitats. I will have to try this with my daughter. Also, we just finished our Africa study and we had lots of fun adding thing to our box. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete