MENU

test

test

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Artist Study ~ Edgar Degas

We were watching my niece’s ballet recital and I was telling my son that there was once a painter who loves to paint ballerinas.  And out of nowhere, I found myself setting up an Edgar Degas artist study.

Degas is well known for his pictures of racehorses, nudes and of course ballerinas.  He was fascinated with ballet dancers.  He showed them in many poses, not just dancing... but going to classes, chatting, stretching and tying shoes.  He spent hours observing and sketching ballerinas, totally absorbed in his works.  And as he aged, he eyesight worsened so he turned into sculpting.

Using my homemade art cards, we looked into some of Degas’ famous works.

          DSC_1165 DSC_1168

Here’s a copy of my Degas art cards.  All images were from Google/Wikipedia. 

Afterwards I looked for a picture of my niece in her recital dress and asked my son if we could draw her using oil pastel (Degas uses oil pastels!).  He made an outline using a pencil but asked for my assistance when he started drawing the skirt.

          DSC_1189 DSC_1191

DSC_1193

His finish product. 

  Scan1

Books we read, courtesy of our library.

DSC_1205

Linking to:

Montessori Monday

No comments :

Post a Comment